ÖH WU > Service > International Students > Permanent immigration
International Students

Permanent immigration

How to immigrate to Austria

In the following you will find important information about the Red-White-Red Card

Story von Slav Ivanov
aktualisiert am 11.06.2024
Teilen via

Criteria-based Immigration to Austria

You are a qualified worker and citizen of a third country (a country outside the EU) seeking to live and work in Austria. To do so, you need the Red-White-Red Card. You as well as your family members can apply for the Red-White-Red Card.

Red-White-Red Card

The Red-White-Red Card is issued for a period of 24 months and entitles you as the holder to fixed-term settlement and employment by the employer specified in your application.

You are eligible for a Red-White-Red Card if you belong to one of the following groups:


You can find more information on the Red-White-Red Card in languages such as Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian, French, Russian, Spanish und Turkish on the website: www.advantageaustria.org.


General Requirements for Issuing Residence Permits

The authorities may only grant you a residence title if you meet the following requirements:

Adequate means of subsistence

You have to have a fixed and regular personal income enabling you to cover your living costs without resorting to welfare aid from local authorities. At the time of application the regular monthly income must be equal to the equalisation supplement reference rate (Ausgleichszulagenrichtsatz) of the General Social Insurance Act (Allgemeines Sozialversicherungsgesetz - ASVG).

Equalisation supplement reference rate since 1st of January 2022:

  • For singles: € 1,030.49
  • For couples: € 1,625.41
  • For each child additionally € 159

Proof of social benefits which you are entitled to only after your residence permit has been granted (welfare benefits or equalisation supplements in particular) is not factored in.

Please note:

When applying for a Red-White-Red Card or a Blue Card EU, make sure to take note of the special requirements concerning your income.

Health Insurance Coverage

For your stay in Austria, you must have health insurance coverage which provides benefits in Austria and covers all risks.

Here you have two options for the health insurance: FeelSafe www.gesundheitskasse.at or the public insurance ÖGK.

Adequate Accommodation

You have to provide evidence of a legal title to locally customary accommodation (e.g. by providing a lease contract), considered adequate for your family size.

Please note:

An accommodation free of charge, which can be revoked at any time without a notice period, does not meet this requirement, since no legal title to accommodation is constituted. Proof of secure means of subsistence and the right to accommodation can be provided by a third party’s liability declaration, as far as this option is expressly provided for. 

No threat to public order or security

Your stay must not be contrary to public order or public security or substantially affect Austria's relations with other countries.

Story von Slav Ivanov
aktualisiert am 11.06.2024
Teilen via